About Me

My photo
I am a recently graduated Illustration student receiving a First Class honours Degree in my field, from the University of Lincoln, I love acrylic paint, flowers and the 1970s.

Monday, 26 March 2012

More Under Milk wood Illustrations

Ive had these done for a bit, but have only just got around to scanning them. I'm really terrible at Blogging. I really should think about making my blog more up to date, neater, and maybe sort out a hand drawn banner. So hopefully I'll sort it all out soon.

Anyway,

EVANS THE DEATH

Heres my Illustration for the character of 'Evans The Death',  The Under taker From Dylan Thomas' Under Milkwood. I wanted to use less colours in this piece, and keep them quite limited, although I was tempted to paint a stripy scarf on the snowman, im glad I havent. I have a habit of trying to cram too much into one piece sometimes.




I Interpreted the lines...



"laughs high and aloud in his sleep and curls up his toes as he sees, upon waking fifty years ago, snow lie deep on the goosefield behind the sleeping house ; and he runs out into the field where his mother is making welsh-cakes in the snow, and steals a fistful of snowflakes and currants and climbs back to bed to eat them cold and sweet under the warm, white clothes while his mother dances in the snow kitchen crying out for her lost currants..."



MISS PRICE

I've also painted another character image for 'Miss Price'. I wanted the image to contain imagery that related to her lover 'Mr Edwards' as well.  In the play, the two never meet and their love is expressed through letters which they send to each other...the text in the letters is laden with imagery,and I tried to represent alot of this in this image, however with hind sight it does look rather busy.






The lines I took for Inspiration Include...

..."her lover, tall as the town clock tower..."

... "I love you more than all the flannelette and calico, candlewick, dimity, crash and merino, tussore, cretonne, crepon, muslin, poplin, ticking and twill in the whole Cloth Hall of the world..."

... "I will warm the sheets like an electric toaster, I will lie by your side like the Sunday roast..."

..."I will knit you a wallet of forget-me-not blue, for the money, to be comfy. I will warm your heart by the fire so that you can slip it in under your vest when the shop is closed "...

..." before the mice gnaw at your bottom drawer"...






No comments:

Post a Comment