About Me

My photo
I am a recently graduated Illustration student receiving a First Class honours Degree in my field, from the University of Lincoln, I love acrylic paint, flowers and the 1970s.

Sunday, 29 January 2012

Merz box Competition

Ive been trying to upload this for ages! But the internet where I live has been having problems, so Ive decided to take a trip to the library to upload this post!

I have worked on a piece for a competition involving  short stories by Kurt shcwitters. The story that was given to me is called 'The Flat and the Round Painter'. I decided to focus on a few lines of the story rather than trying to sum up the whole story. Im not sure if this was a good idea or not, but I wanted to limit myself to one area, so that I could create something highly crafted and further develop my painting skills.
For this I chose to do a portrait of one of the characters mentioned in my story. I chose to Illustrate the 'Queen' character.

I focused on the lines :


So he painted a queen. She had an enormous velvet skirt on her legs, and a crown on her head, and a shock of hair under the crown, which looked like a cake, so beautifully was it done

My response is heavily influenced by lowbrow/ pop surrealism, especially the work of Mark Ryden and Ana Bagayan.






This image is a scan, and the final image has gold leaf along the crown of the queen, however it wouldnt show up on the scan, so I did this after scanning. As the piece is a crafted artifact, rather than being produced for print, I thought it would be a nice idea to add the gold leaf, and make the piece more decorative.

The Image will be housed in a wooden frame, which has a door on it. Ive already sourced a lovely ornate brass handle for the door, Im just waiting for the frame to put together and assembled by my carpenter other half.

I'm then going to paint relevant royal signifers and imagery appropriate to the piece on the door. Just in time for the hand in, which I think is around april, so Ive got a bit of time to play around with imagery to paint onto the door!... I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Thankyous Joe! :D it took long enough! Cant wait to start on this negotiated business properly :D

    ReplyDelete